Friday, September 9, 2011

Just Off the Easel: Jazz Kings



Another musical piece for the Cool Notes Show in Downtown Apex from September 10-19!




I took pictures through every step of the process to show my current method:

reference picture from here
Chris Parfitt
sketch in water soluble pastel
on 8 ply board primed

with pastel primer
color blocked in with Neopastel II  pastels
create a wash of the pastel w/water
detail of drawing after wash finished
added layer of Sennelier oil pastel
 After final tweaks/adjustments
I could fiddle forever,
but I had to make myself stop!

Sorry, most of the pictures were taken in my studio at night and are not very good lighting!  The final image shots (first and very last) were taken outside in natural light, so the color and light are truest and best represent the actual piece.  

I enjoyed working on these musical pieces and look forward to seeing the rest of the works in the show.  I hope you'll come down and check it out!  A link to the Facebook event page for the show is here

Next I'm thinking about some abstract pieces in oil pastel.  I feel a pull to just mess around with color and texture, so we'll see what happens!  Stay tuned... :)

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...