Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Painting Local Landmarks: Mordecai Park

I've started what I hope will be a series of pieces based on local landmarks.  The first of these will be based on Mordecai Historic Park.

Here is the progress of the first piece:


  1. Reference picture I took with my Nikon D40
  2. Thumbnail sketch, about 5" x 7".  Note that I overlapped the left and center buildings.  The space between the buildings was distracting! 
  3. Begin painting on Arches Cover primed with clear Colourfix primer, 22" x 30."  Sketch/underpainting with Lyra water soluble pastels
  4. Current progress.  First layer of Sennelier and Erengi oil pastels.   

The next step is to go back and correct perspective, correct some layout problems, and lay down more color!  I'm kind of wishing that I had primed the paper with my favorite terracotta Colourfix pastel primer so that there were some pops of color peeking through.  But I think that the white ground will make for a brighter sky and white in the central building.

22" x 30" Oil Pastel on Arches Cover


Stay tuned for updates!  I have several other images from Mordecai that I'd like to paint, perhaps a bit smaller than this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...