Friday, March 23, 2012

My First Encaustic Painting

This week I went to a demo at the Visual Art Exchange in Raleigh.  Sharon DiGuilio shared the techniques and materials behind the art of encaustic painting.  I've always wanted to learn more about this mysterious process, and it was so interesting to think about all of the different ways you can use this versatile medium!
My first encaustic painting!

Basically, encaustic paints are made up of beeswax, dammar resin, and pigment.  They must be heated and applied in a particular manner so that they fuse with each other.  You can create wonderful layered effects, combine them with collage and transfers, and use many other mediums to create unique paintings.  

I am particularly interested in incorporating oil pastel with encaustic paints or cold wax (a different medium altogether!).  This will be something to experiment with down the road.  

It was a wonderful evening of experimenting in a new medium. I was also excited to meet another artist whose works I have admired for a while now, Christy Robinson Pillow.  It is so nice to connect with local artists and have a sense of community.  Sometimes you need to get out and stretch your creativity...you never know who or what you'll stumble upon!





1 comment:

  1. What fun. I have always been interested in this also and will follow your process.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...