Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mordecai Park and Meet My Pastels

I've been working on the Mordecai Park painting (talked about here), and have some progress to share.  I'll begin introducing you to my pastel collection in this post, too.

Mordecai Park
22" x 30"
Sennelier oil pastel on Arches Cover


I've adjusted some proportions and am slowly filling the paper with color! I've been using my La Grande Sennelier oil pastels on this 22" x 30" piece.  La Grande pastels are eight times the size of Sennelier's smaller pastels, which is very nice when working large scale.

regular oil pastel versus the La Grande
buy them here


I am noticing that my 36 color set is lacking in some of my favorite shades from the smaller sized pastel.  Most noticeably I'm needing Sap Green 087, Violet Alizarin Lake 076, Sky Blue 226, and another White.  My white La Grande finally disappeared, as it's my favorite white oil pastel and it gets used so much!

I've had my precious La Grande set for 6 or 7 years.  It was my first major investment in oil pastels.  Since then I've been supplementing my collection with the smaller sized Sennelier oil pastels.  I've also been trying out Erengis and Gallery Extra Soft oil pastels, both of which are good to layer underneath the more creamy (and expensive) Senneliers.  To give you an idea of cost, individual smaller sized Sennelier oil pastels cost about $2-3 each and the La Grandes are about $7-8 each.  These are not your grade school pastels!

I'd love to add some Holbeins and Neopastels to the mix.  My dream would be to add a Holbein 225 piece boxed set, which includes 5 shades of each color.  They aren't making these anymore, so my time is wasting away before these will be all gone!
Holbein 225 piece set
If you're looking for more information on oil pastel brands, check out Robert Sloan's site.  He offers great reviews and information about oil pastel brands and materials.  I'll be sharing more about my experiences with oil pastels in future posts, so stay tuned!

Don't miss a post!  To get the latest posts delivered to your inbox, please enter your email address on the right side of this page under "Follow by Email".  You can also like Bethany Bryant Art on Facebook, where I share info between blog posts, news, and ideas for paintings.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...