Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 6 - Blue Ridge Summer

"Blue Ridge Summer"
oil pastel on gatorboard
10" x 10"
available here

A view of the Blue Ridge Mountains near Blowing Rock, NC.  A beautiful summer morning before afternoon showers rolled through.  There was actually a golf course in the valley.

I had a time with this one and may come back to it after the oil pastel dries out a bit.  I haven't worked much with terracotta underpainting lately, and I am finding I need to use a different technique than with the watercolor underneath.  The oil pastel built up too much and I had a hard time laying down more layers without getting too muddy.  For me, working quickly in oil pastel requires underpainting in local colors. This allows me to use the watercolor to lay down the foundation beneath the OP and not get too heavy with my application.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow! Thanks for reading,
Bethany

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...