Monday, June 20, 2011

Just off the Easel: Emerald Isle Dunes

Hooray for productive days off!  Today Natalie took a great nap and Nick came home early, so I was able to start and finish a painting today.

I'm hoping to display this piece at the Apex Arts Council's show Oceanic Latitudes.  


Emerald Isle Dunes
oil pastel on 8-ply rag board
13" x 17 3/4"


This is from one of the great photos from our Emerald Isle trip a few weeks ago.  I'm loving the cotton rag board primed with terracotta Colourfix.  It doesn't give the texture like the watercolor and Arches cover stock.  For a larger piece the texture doesn't bother me, but on smaller drawings I think it's distracting.


I have the perfect frame in mind...a brown rustic wood heart pine frame with a cove shape.  Oil pastels have to be framed under glass for protection from dust and smearing.  I use spacers when I don't use a mat, and use museum glass to eliminate glare.  I'll share a picture once it's framed.


I also worked on the picture of Nick and Natalie, but probably won't finish it tonight.  I need some relaxation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...