Monday, June 6, 2011

Just off the Easel: Buckets of Fun

After our fun trip to Emerald Isle, I have tons of great photos to paint!





Natalie loved romping in the sand, chasing waves, eating kelp, and playing with water in her buckets.  I think she was more interested in the buckets filled with water than eating sand, which was fine by me!


I have just finished this painting of Natalie busily playing with her buckets...


Buckets of Fun
8" x 10" oil pastel on paper

Painted with oil pastels on Arches Cover stock, primed with terracotta Colourfix.  This time I underpainted with the Neocolor water soluble pastels, and I liked how it kept the layers thinner.  The oil pastel really builds up quickly and takes some time to set up.  Using the water soluble pastels helped me to work more quickly and make changes to the composition before using the oil pastels.

Here is my underpainting...for once I thought to get out the camera and take a picture halfway into my work.  This is after laying down the Neocolor pastels and using a wet brush to create a wash.  

after underpainting finished
& before oil pastels used

I'm looking forward to some more beach-inspired paintings, and will continue experimenting with different ways to underpaint.  Next I may try some watercolor washes, which I haven't done in years.  Should be a good exercise!

Stay tuned :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...