Friday, June 24, 2011

Just off the Easel: East on 64 from Jordan

Just finished this large painting for the Visual Art Exchange show Pulp:

East on 64 from Jordan
oil pastel on paper
22" x 30"


We took some great pictures last weekend on the way home from an afternoon at Lake Jordan.  The sun was setting and casting the prettiest colors on this house and barn on the South side of Hwy 64.  I'm sure I'll be doing a few more studies from these photos!

I haven't worked this large in oil pastels in a while.  It was fun, but eats up a lot of pastel!  This time I underpainted with only some acrylic Speedball ink in Burnt Sienna applied with a rubber brayer to lay in the darker areas...


I used this techique a lot in college in my large nude figure drawings with etching ink and soft pastels.  (Pardon this terrible photo with reflections...)


Untitled, 1999
etching ink and soft pastels on paper
22" x 30"

Hopefully this new landscape will make it into the VAE show...I'll keep you posted!

Oh, and here's a not so great picture of the framed Emerald Isle Dunes I talked about here.  I'm taking it over to Downtown Apex for the Oceanic Latitudes show today.



Thanks, and Happy Friday!
Bethany

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful painting, Bethany. I often do underpaintings as they are helpful value wise. Good luck with the show.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...