Thursday, February 3, 2011

WIP: Nap Time

Just started this painting of my two favorite people!  There is nothing sweeter than a daddy and baby napping together...




This is definitely a work in progress..about an hour in and time to take a break and let the OP's set up a bit.  This is painted using Sennelier oil pastels on canvas board, primed with Colourfix primer in Terracotta. Size is 8" x 10".


I struggled with the colors for the skin tones.  I found that my small set didn't have the colors that I needed, and that I need to supplement my smaller oil pastel set with additional colors.  I have the Landscape 24pc set and the LaGrande 36 color set.  


Between the two sets, I have a good range of colors, however the larger LaGrande pastels are hard to use on smaller scale works. Regular are 2 9/16" long x 3/8" diameter, and La Grande is 5" long x 3/4" diameter.  




regular landcape 24pc set
LaGrande 36pc set


I like to use Colourshapers to blend after blocking in the colors, and then go back in again to establish some texture.  The last trip to Jerry's Artarama I discovered some cool Mini Colour Shapers.  I really wanted to try them out but the $30 price tag for a set of 4 was too much for just some experimenting.  I can just use my cheap set of throw-away blending stumps for now.

Tomorrow I'll  break out the LaGrande set and get some orange and pink tones into the faces.  Also need to take out all almost all of the contour lines that I sketched with in the Violet Alizarin Lake #076.  

Hoping to finish "Nap Time" tomorrow during nap time. ;)   Update coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...