Sunday, February 5, 2012

Just off the Easel: Blue Ridge Cows...and Sprinklers

Finished this oil pastel after it sat on the shelf since September!  

Blue Ridge Cows
11 x 14 oil pastel on Pastelbord
Available in my Shop

It was one of the pieces that I started during an outdoor art show that ended disastrously... I'm just now getting over the trauma and am willing to talk about it!  

Imagine a day long art show where you have a booth that you have meticulously prepared and created framed art for weeks. All day you have dodged rain showers and thankfully, it didn't rain.  Now it's 5pm, and you are tired and ready to break down.  

midday during the art show...
didn't know what was to come!

Others started packing up 30 minutes ago, but out of respect to everyone you hold out until the end of the day.   Then right at 5... BAM the industrial sprinklers come on (one is placed right in front of your booth) and SOAKS all of your precious art that you have framed and matted.

For what seems like an eternity the sprinklers poured water on my paintings.  I really thought a water main had broken because there was so much water erupting from the ground.  Finally someone figured out how to turn the water off.

And I hadn't sold anything all day. Did I mention that it was also my BIRTHDAY??  Yes, I cried.  And then I cleaned up, went to my birthday party, and drank beer.

So, yes, this painting has sat on the shelf for months because working on it reminded me of that art show.  But I was stuck the other day working on a pet portrait and had to take a break. I decided it was time to move on and finish the cows!

Did I mention yet that I have decided to have a booth at the Artists for Animals Faire on April 21st?  I know, I must be crazy!  Fingers crossed for no rain and NO SPRINKLERS!


1 comment:

  1. WOW! I cannot imagine how you felt after that show. I think i would have demanded my space rental back. After all, it was not an act of God, but incompetence on their part.

    Anyway... glad you're getting back in the swing of things & i love the "Blue Ridge Cows". <><

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...