Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Just off the Easel: Daddy and Me

Here's another picture of little Natalie.  I started this painting as a Father's Day gift, but ran out of time (here's what Natalie got Nick instead).  Now I've finally gotten around to completing it!


I'm glad I did, because there's nothing more adorable than a girl holding hands with Daddy...

Daddy and Me
oil pastel on board
8" x 10"

Still loving painting these beach pictures.  It makes me feel like I'm still sitting in a beach chair with my toes in the sand... well, almost!

This painting was painted directly on a scrap piece of 8-ply white rag matboard.  Wish I had taken the time to prime the board with a coat of pastel primer like I usually do.  The extra step would have saved me time in the long run, since the pastel didn't have enough tooth to stick to the board.  Once I laid down the first layer of pastel, it was very hard to add any more layers since the pastel just slid around.  Lesson learned!

It's easiest to prepare a bunch of boards all at once.  When I don't feel like painting (but know I should be productive), I prime a stack of boards and paper while watching a movie.  Then, when I'm ready to paint, I have many sizes to choose from and can get started right away.

Right now I'm experimenting with clear Colourfix Pastel Primer tinted with Golden fluid acrylics.  So far it's been good!  I've started a portrait of another shih tzu (previous pup) with a vivid red background.  A post on this as soon as I'm finished. 

:) Bethany


PS... To "like" Bethany Bryant Art on Facebook, click here!  There may be a special deal for Facebook fans soon, **hint, hint!**

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...